Keeping a maiden name as a middle name after marriage

Upon marriage it is traditional for a woman to take her husband's surname and abandon the use of her maiden name. To do this, a Deed Poll is not required. However, some women prefer to continue using their maiden name as a middle name. This allows husband and wife to share a surname which is especially convenient for financial and administrative purposes. It also means that both partners can maintain a link with their family name without having to double-barrel.

When somebody chooses to use their current surname as a middle name upon marriage, they must apply to change their name by Deed Poll. This will allow them to have their maiden name incorporated into their new name. Once it has been executed, the Deed Poll document can be sent of to all relevant departments in order for their records to be updated.  It will be accepted by all organisations including the Identity and Passport Office, as proof of the change of name.

It is also possible for the man to take his wife's surname as a middle name, which results in the couple sharing a middle name as well as a surname. The same process as described above will apply.

To change your name...

  1. Fill in our online application form
  2. Receive your Deed Poll in the post
  3. Sign and date your Deed Poll
  4. Update records into your new name

Start Here

We help thousands change their name and receive Excellent Feedback.

What Our Clients Say...

My 17 year old daughter wanted to change her name by Deed Poll to my maiden name and I was put off as had heard that it was a complicated process. I researched this on the internet and came across UKDP. I rang and a lovely young lady explained what my daughter needed to do and that I could do it over the phone for her as long as she signed the Deed Poll in front of a witness.

Everything arrived in the post the next day and the information pack was invaluable as all my daughter had to do was type out the template letters to various organisations.

I highly recommend UKDP to anyone wishing to change their name as they have made something I thought to be very complicated to the easiest thing in the world.

Alison Maizey, Norwich. October 2010

More Testimonials

Our Deed Polls are accepted by all UK government departments including UK Passport Service, DVLA and HM Revenue and Customs

Request a Call Back

Apply online to change your name by Deed Poll! Find out how it works or call us on 0800 983 0143 for more information