Age restrictions

Any person can apply to change their name by Deed Poll no matter what their age is. The only thing that will be affected is whether the application is made for an adult or for a child Deed Poll.

Adults (over 18 years of age)

Any adult can apply to change their name by Deed Poll. No consent is required, parental or otherwise. The only condition that must be fulfilled is that the name change must not be carried out for fraudulent purposes.

The Deed Poll document will then be accepted by all organisations, including the Identity and Passport Office, as evidence of their change of name and records will be updated accordingly.

Children aged 16 to 18

Children between the age of 16 and 18, must apply for their own Adult Deed Poll, and do not need to seek the consent of those holding parental responsibility for them.

In the same way that an adult would, they must sign the Deed Poll themselves and have this signing witnessed. They can then proceed to get all of their records updated, including the name on their passport. This is done by sending out the Deed Poll document to the relevant departments

Children under the age of 16

For children under the age of 16, a person holding parental responsibility for the child must apply for the Deed Poll. In order for the document to be accepted by professional bodies such as the passport office, it is necessary for all those holding parental responsibility to give their consent to the name change.

The permission of children under 16 does not need to be obtained for a change of name. However, if a child objects to the change, it is possible for them to apply for a court order to prevent the change. The court will only accept if it is satisfied that the child has a full understanding of what is involved.

For more information on issues involved in changing the name of a child please read:

To change your name...

  1. Fill in our online application form
  2. Receive your Deed Poll in the post
  3. Sign and date your Deed Poll
  4. Update records into your new name

Start Here

We help thousands change their name and receive Excellent Feedback.

What Our Clients Say...

Easy .. almost too easy! I wish all administrative procedures were that simple.

Many thanks.

Dylan Roi, London. January 2012

More Testimonials

Our Deed Polls are accepted by all UK government departments including UK Passport Service, DVLA and HM Revenue and Customs

Request a Call Back

Apply online to change your name by Deed Poll! Find out how it works or call us on 0800 983 0143 for more information