Change a child's surname from that of an absent father

Upon registering a child's birth it is common practice for a child to be given their father's surname (regardless of whether their mother also uses it). This is especially the case for families in which the father is playing an active role.

However, if at some point during the child's upbringing their father ceases to be involved with them many mothers choose to change their children's surnames from their fathers to their own.

This can only be done if all those holding Parental Responsibility for the child give their consent. This can be a problem if a father holds parental responsibility but cannot be contacted. For further information on this read our section on absent fathers with parental responsibility. If you fail to contact the child's father or simply cannot gain his consent you can apply for a court order to change yours child's name.

If consent is gained or if the mother has sole parental responsibility for her child, it is simply a matter of applying for a Deed Poll. Once the Deed Poll has been executed, records holding the child's details can be updated and the new surname can start to be used immediately.

To change your name...

  1. Fill in our online application form
  2. Receive your Deed Poll in the post
  3. Sign and date your Deed Poll
  4. Update records into your new name

Start Here

We help thousands change their name and receive Excellent Feedback.

What Our Clients Say...

I found the service provided excellent. The website was easy to use, all details are explained in simple easy to follow steps and my paperwork arrived the next day as advertised.

I would highly recommend this service to anyone wishing to change their name with the least amount of fuss.

Thank you for all of your help.

Sean Donnelly, London. January 2011

More Testimonials

Our Deed Polls are accepted by all UK government departments including UK Passport Service, DVLA and HM Revenue and Customs

Request a Call Back

Apply online to change your name by Deed Poll! Find out how it works or call us on 0800 983 0143 for more information