Changing your name on your driving license
When you change your name it is vital that you inform the Driver Vehicle and Licensing Agency immediately. This will ensure that your records are kept up to date and any future contact you have with the DVLA will be conducted in your new name. This will involve sending off your driving licence to the DVLA for alteration. They will then issue you with a new licence at no cost (provided that your photograph is not due for renewal).
How to apply to change the name on your driver's licence
Changing the name on your Driving Licence is a fairly simple process. The procedure is as follows:
- You will need to complete a D1 application form. You can request such a form online by clicking here. They are also available from any Post Office branch.
- You will need to provide a piece of original documentation confirming your change of name. Suitable documentary evidence include a marriage certificate, decree absolute or a Deed Poll document. Please note that photocopies will not be accepted.
- You should enclose your photocard driving licence and the paper counterpart.
- All of these documents should be sent to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BN
Receiving your new driving licence
Provided you enclose the correct documents in your application you should receive your new driving licence within approximately three weeks. If the DVLA have to carry out health or other personal detail checks this may prolong the process. Therefore in order to complete the process as quickly as possible it is advisable that you ensure you have enclosed all that is necessary before sending off you application.
Driving before you receive your new licence
The majority of people can continue to drive while awaiting their new licence. In order to fit into this category you must:
- Have held a British (or Northern Ireland) driving licence issued since 1st January 1976.
- Not be disqualified form driving.
- Not have been refused a licence for medical reasons or for failing to comply with medical enquiries regarding your licence.
- Not have been refused a licence on medical grounds. It is advisable that you check with your doctor if you are unsure about this.
- Abide by any special conditions applying to your licence.
If you have been temporarily disqualified from driving for any reason it is still advisable to notify the DVLA of your name change during this period. You should write to the DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AB providing details of your name change, address, driving licence number and date of birth. Your records can then be updated and you should receive a D27 driving licence renewal application before the end of you disqualification period.
Changing the name on your Vehicle Registration certificate (V5C)
If you own a vehicle you will also need to update the name on your registration certificate with the DVLA.
To change your name...
- Fill in our online application form
- Receive your Deed Poll in the post
- Sign and date your Deed Poll
- Update records into your new name
We help thousands change their name and receive Excellent Feedback.