Meshing surnames upon marriage

Possible, one of the latest trends in name change upon marriage is 'meshing' a couple surnames together.

Many newly married couples have difficulty in deciding between his surname and her surname and also have problems choosing whose surname will go first if they were to double-barrel their surnames. Sometimes ‘meshing' their surnames together provides a solution to this. This involves the two surnames being combined into one, that is then shared.

For example if Jane Johnson married Michael Francis they may mesh their surnames to become Mr and Mrs Franson. Obviously, the surnames to be meshed will often dictate whether this option is chosen by a couple since many will clash with each other or just ‘not sound right'.

If a couple do decide to mesh their surnames a Deed Poll document will be required. This can then be used to get all records updated, including the name on passports, into the new name.

The option of continuing to use previous surnames as middle names is also available to couples who mesh. This allows them to maintain a link with their family name. It can easily be done by Deed Poll at the same time as the new surname is taken.

To change your name...

  1. Fill in our online application form
  2. Receive your Deed Poll in the post
  3. Sign and date your Deed Poll
  4. Update records into your new name

Start Here

We help thousands change their name and receive Excellent Feedback.

What Our Clients Say...

The name change process was very straightforward and easy to understand. The forms arrived very quickly, the web site was easy to use and the overall service was excellent.

A.B., London. April 2011

More Testimonials

Our Deed Polls are accepted by all UK government departments including UK Passport Service, DVLA and HM Revenue and Customs

Request a Call Back

Apply online to change your name by Deed Poll! Find out how it works or call us on 0800 983 0143 for more information