Same sex partners sharing a surname

Same sex partners may want to share the same surname. In any relationship, having both partners operating under the same surname is the most convenient option when making financial, legal and social agreements. For example, if Jane Parker formed a civil partnership with Sarah Jones, they may choose to use Sarah's name. They would then be addressed as Jane Jones and Sarah Jones. The process of the name change differs depending on whether the couple are civil partners or not.

If couples form a civil partnership a Deed Poll is not necessary for them to share a surname. Similar to a marriage, the civil partnership certificate along with a covering letter explaining exactly what name change is required is all that is needed. Records can then be updated to show that each partner uses the same surname.

For same sex couples who have not formed a civil partnership a Deed Poll will be needed to change any names. Once you have applied for, and received the Deed Poll document, you must sign and date it, and have this signing witnessed. You can then proceed to notify all organisations containing records of you, of your change of name, by sending off the completed Deed Poll document to them.

To change your name...

  1. Fill in our online application form
  2. Receive your Deed Poll in the post
  3. Sign and date your Deed Poll
  4. Update records into your new name

Start Here

We help thousands change their name and receive Excellent Feedback.

What Our Clients Say...

The process of changing our son's name was trouble free and so far we have not experienced any problems at all.

You provided a professional and high quality service. Thank you!

Anthony Lomas, Hong Kong. May 2011

More Testimonials

Our Deed Polls are accepted by all UK government departments including UK Passport Service, DVLA and HM Revenue and Customs

Request a Call Back

Apply online to change your name by Deed Poll! Find out how it works or call us on 0800 983 0143 for more information