A woman's name change rights upon separation

After separating from their husbands many women who have taken their spouse's surname upon marriage wish to revert to their maiden name.

It is widely believed that a woman has to wait until she is divorced before reverting to her maiden name. However, this is not the case. A separated woman has the right to change her surname at any time. The change can be carried out through use of a Deed Poll and does not affect any divorce proceedings that may have already began, or may happen in the future.

The only thing that must be done in this regard is to notify the other party of the name change. Following this, any documentation regarding the divorce will be in the woman's maiden name. When changing your name by Deed Poll you may wish to consider making alterations to forenames, for example to alter, add or remove first and/or middle names.

By applying for a Deed Poll document you can have all of your records, including the name on your passport, updated to show your new name. In order to do this you will need to send the Deed Poll off to various organisations as this will provide them with proof of your change of name. Their records of you can then be amended.

To change your name...

  1. Fill in our online application form
  2. Receive your Deed Poll in the post
  3. Sign and date your Deed Poll
  4. Update records into your new name

Start Here

We help thousands change their name and receive Excellent Feedback.

What Our Clients Say...

I was very very pleased with my deed poll.

I was not sure weather to apply through this website or to do the traditional method of going to a solicitor. However I did not really have time to go and make an appointment with a solicitor, go and give them my instructions and then go back to them to go sign the deed.

The UK Deed poll was very quick. I completed the online application and made the payment and I was very surprised to receive my deed and legal copies the very next day.

It was fast and efficient. I would definitely recommend using UK Deed Poll to anyone looking for easy and stress free way of obtaining a deed poll.

They are also very helpful in that they send you a list of all the possible places you may need to send your deed poll to change your name and contains useful contact information.

Thank you UK Deed Poll.

Shazia J., Tipton. December 2010

More Testimonials

Our Deed Polls are accepted by all UK government departments including UK Passport Service, DVLA and HM Revenue and Customs

Request a Call Back

Apply online to change your name by Deed Poll! Find out how it works or call us on 0800 983 0143 for more information