A woman's name change rights upon being widowed

If a woman wishes to revert to her maiden name upon being widowed she can do so without the need for a Deed Poll.  This is because her husband's death certificate and her marriage certificate (which shows her maiden name) are usually accepted as documentary evidence that her name has changed. Government departments and most companies and organisations will change their records to show the new surname upon presentation of these certificates.

However, if the death certificates and marriage certificates are not accepted by everyone a Deed Poll will be required. This is guaranteed to be accepted by all organisations as documentary evidence of a change of name.

A Deed Poll must also be used if a widow wishes to be known by another surname, or wishes to change her forenames.

Apply for a Deed Poll

What Our Clients Say...

I would just like to say how please I am with the service I received.

It was easy to do online, very straight forward and I received the documents through very quickly. They look very professional and am very pleased with them and the boys are now enjoying officially being called by my family surname and we are busy making sure everyone is informed so they can amend their records accordingly.

Once again thank you for your fast and efficient service.

Sue Calladine, Bridgwater, Somerset. August 2010

More Testimonials

Our Deed Polls are accepted by all UK government departments including UK Passport Service, DVLA and HM Revenue and Customs

Request a Call Back

Apply online to change your name by Deed Poll! Find out how it works or call us on 0800 983 0143 for more information