Reverting to a maiden name prior to a divorce being finalised

Upon marriage many women undergo a change of name, most commonly involving adopting their husband's surname, by use of a marriage certificate. Other variations of name change upon marriage also exist, most of which must be carried out by Deed Poll.

When a marriage comes to an end, many women wish to revert to their original name or at least alter their current name in some way. If, upon marriage a woman simply adopted her husbands surname she can use her decree absolute to revert to her maiden name. However, if any other name change was carried out a Deed Poll will be necessary.

If a woman decides to revert to her maiden name prior to her divorce being finalised and before receiving her decree absolute she has every right to do so. Many women are under the false impression that when they begin divorce proceedings, they must use their husband's name (if they have taken it upon marriage) until the divorce has been finalised. This is not the case.

A separated woman can change her surname at any time by Deed Poll. She may be making simply reverting to her maiden name, or could be altering other parts of her name. No matter what kind of name change is required a Deed Poll can be used to get all records updated quickly into the new name.

The process of a name change by Deed Poll does not affect any divorce proceedings that are happening, or that may happen in the future. The only thing that needs to be done is to notify the other party of the name change, so that subsequent documentation regarding the divorce can be in the new name.

To change your name...

  1. Fill in our online application form
  2. Receive your Deed Poll in the post
  3. Sign and date your Deed Poll
  4. Update records into your new name

Start Here

We help thousands change their name and receive Excellent Feedback.

What Our Clients Say...

The service was wonderful and so quick. The process is easy to understand. I am delighted and I will recommend others.

Abdur Razzak, London. June 2012

More Testimonials

Our Deed Polls are accepted by all UK government departments including UK Passport Service, DVLA and HM Revenue and Customs

Request a Call Back

Apply online to change your name by Deed Poll! Find out how it works or call us on 0800 983 0143 for more information