Why Do People Change Their Name By Deed Poll?
There are numerous reasons why people choose to change their name by Deed Poll. It could be following a divorce, marriage, separation, or simply because somebody isn't happy with the name they were given as a child. No matter what your reason, it is likely that you will be able to undergo a change of name by Deed Poll which will allow you to get all records updated into your new name, including your passport and drivers licence.
Listed below are a few of the reasons why people change their name by Deed Poll.
- Unhappy with birth name - many people simply do not like the name that they were given as a child. They may decide to use an entirely new name or could just want to alter their forenames. Any of these changes can be done by Deed Poll.
- Reverting to your maiden name - upon separation form their husbands many women choose to change their surname to what it was prior to their marriage. This can be carried out before any divorce proceedings take place by Deed Poll.
- Taking your wife's surname - it is becoming increasingly more popular for men to adopt their partner's surname upon getting marred. This cannot be done using a marriage certificate in the same way a woman would take her husbands surname, and must be done by Deed Poll.
- Using your maiden name as a middle name - in order to maintain a link with their family, some women continue to use their maiden name as a middle name after they marry and adopt their husbands surname.
- Changing a child's surname from an absent father's - when a father is no longer involved in a child's life some mothers choose to alter their surname from that of the father.
- Double-barrelling surnames upon marriage - if couples wish to combine their surnames into one hyphenated one which they share, they can do so by Deed Poll.
- Name change for fun - there doesn't need to be any particular reason to go about a change of name by Deed Poll - one can do it simply for fun!
- Creating a new name following divorce - upon divorce a woman who wants to change her name may not want to revert to her maiden name. She could want to start using a new partner's surname, or choose a new name entirely.
- Meshing surnames - Some couples choose to combine their surnames to form a new different surname. This is not the same as double barrelling as the two names are not hyphenated and do not necessarily include each surname in its entirety.
- Anglicising a name - some people with foreign names find that others have trouble pronouncing or spelling their name. To rectify this it is sometimes most convenient to undergo a change of name by Deed Poll in order to start using an easier name.
- Name change upon religious conversion - when people convert to a different religion they often choose to change their name to reflect their new beliefs.
- Same sex partners sharing a surname - it is often convenient for couples to share a surname if they are making financial, legal, or social arrangements together.
- Rearranging current names - many people are happy with their current name but simply want to arrange them in a different order or possibly change the spelling.
- Transgender persons - it is popular among transgender persons to change their name to reflect their new gender. This can be accompanied by a change of title.
There are many other reasons why a person may choose to change their name. Whatever your reason we endeavour to make the process as simple as possible for you.
As long as your name change is not for fraudulent or deceptive purposes, and will not result in the financial loss of a third party or an illegal act being committed, the reason for your name change does not matter.
To change your name...
- Fill in our online application form
- Receive your Deed Poll in the post
- Sign and date your Deed Poll
- Update records into your new name
We help thousands change their name and receive Excellent Feedback.